July End OF Month Training Ride

Home Forums Club Events July End OF Month Training Ride

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  David Slocombe 6 hours, 51 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Maurice Ayling
    Participant

Apologies to all but unable to attend this month

Iankim Mason
    Participant

The photos are on Facebook if anyone wants to see them

David Pengelly

Thank you Ian & Kim

Some great photos as always

Looks like it was a great ride.

Stan Hathaway
    Participant

View from the back,

As ride sweeper it was great to see some really good riding through ever increasingly narrow roads, my satnav just said “driving on road”!

We were all able to put into practice riding past horses from ahead and from astern or should that be abum? Either way the info gleaned from our Saturday Surgery was put into effective practice.

Ride Leader and Sweeper training has been posted so we look forward to seeing as many volunteers as possible.

Kind regards

Stan

David Slocombe
    Participant

I am please all enjoyed the ride. It is one of my favourite routes.

Dave Eaton
    Participant

I was charged with writing a few words about the EOM July ride.

We had a pretty good turn out of ten bikes on a glorious sunny morning, with two ‘new joiners’ riding in the group. We set out on familiar territory heading generally for Exmoor via the Quantocks. Once out of Taunton and on to the Quantocks through Kingston St. Mary (and after the first stop The Bear at Wivvy) it got narrower. Then it got I bit more narrow. Then it got I bit narrower again. And then we had passing places needed for a bike to pass a car! And, we did have grass in the middle of the road at one point. Having never used the roads this route took us, it was a refreshing new way to travel Exmoor. We went through Weddon Cross and Porlock (up ‘the hill’) on some familiar roads then disappeared again ‘off piste’ back on narrow unfamiliar territory and descended into the picturesque metropolis of Lorna Doone Valley, I think on the river Chalke. A couple of riders peeled off here and after a lunch stop we departed for South Molton for the bee Emporium for tea over further un-chartered territory – Stan has posted his sat nav just stated ’driving on road’. Well, we were, just. We lost a further rider here to time constraints and the remainder winged their way back to Taunton via the marvellous B3227.

This ride had a bit of everything really, cautious progress, slow riding (including past ‘live’ hazards) and more progressive on the last leg. Along the way we encountered tourist traffic, cyclists, groups of horses (+ their deposits), caravans and hay laiden tractor and trailer combo (some all at once causing a traffic jam) and of course, Taunton traffic.

A great ride in great weather. If you missed it, look out for it next time. Thanks and well done Dave Slocombe.

David Slocombe
    Participant

Thanks for the write up Dave. I think you captured the day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.